You’re engaged, what an exciting time this is for you! This post is all about getting you prepared and inspired for your Lake Bluff engagement photo shoot!
While the moments between your engagement and your wedding day are filled with choices and questions, it’s also an amazing time for you to celebrate with the love of your life. One of the most fun things that you will first get to do together as a newly engaged couple is to get in front of the camera for your engagement photo shoot!
Having an engagement photo shoot is such a vital part of the entire process of working with your wedding photographer.
It’ll help us get to know one another before your wedding day, including getting you comfortable with how I will direct you when it comes to posing, and yes even lighting! This session will help us navigate your wedding day together! I’ll arrive the day of your wedding already knowing how you interact with one another, what poses work best for you, and how to photograph you in a way that is genuine to your love story! What I will learn about you during your Lake Bluff engagement photo shoot is invaluable! When your wedding day rolls around, you will feel like such a pro because of the great practice (and fun) you had during your engagement session, and that is my ultimate goal for you!
Your engagement session can be scheduled anytime before your wedding day. I normally suggest booking it at least 3-6 months in advance to avoid stress. We will go over scheduling the perfect day and time for us to shoot, depending on the season. Once we’re scheduled and all systems go, you will need to start brainstorming engagement photo location ideas in or around Lake Bluff! I LOVE it when couples pick a location that is sentimental to them in some way! If you find yourself having trouble choosing a specific location, I can always step in to help you decide. As long as we have awesome streams of big beautiful light I can take ANY location and make you look like a rockstar! Some places that I have shot at before include farms, campuses, downtown alleys avoiding dumpsters, YEP, really! We don’t have to shy away from crazy ideas.
Keep reading for my top 10 tips on outfits & inspiration!
How intimidating can it feel to have your picture take? Even if it’s just a quick snap by a friend using their iPhone, we have a deep desire to always look great, making sure nothing is in our teeth (the horror!), and that our hair is ‘behaving for us! It can feel overwhelming once you begin to prepare for your Lake Bluff engagement photo shoot and I want to give you my absolute best tips for outfits & accessories that will make your engagement photo shoot prep much more manageable and leave you feeling excited!
1) Matching – try not to pick matching outfits for you and your finance. If everyone wore the same exact color at their session, how boring would those images be? Do choose accessories that have you coordinating with one another! Matching accessories are a great way to build in personal detail to your engagement photos!
2) Go Bold – Don’t be afraid to go bold! Make those coordinated accessories your own! Scarves, statement necklaces, and patterned or bold colored footwear are always recommended.
3) Wearing Patterns – Wearing patterned outfits for your engagement photo shoot are usually ok, however, graphic patterns are not your friend when it comes to being in front of the camera. If you choose a patterned outfit, make sure it’s not too ‘loud’, distracting or overwhelming to the eye.
4) Pinterest – Here’s where Pinterest becomes our friend! Pinterest is a great search engine when scouring for engagement outfit inspiration. Put some boards together to help you get inspired and play with your chosen colors and overall look before committing to shopping for your engagement photo shoot. Be sure to check out my Pinterest boards for more outfit inspiration if you’re having trouble!
5) Pockets – Empty your pockets out! Literally! We don’t want any Phones, keychains or other bulky items showing through your pockets in your engagement photos (I’m looking at you grooms to be!)
6) Outfit Change – Often times, my couples like to have a quick outfit change for their engagement photo shoot. One casual everyday outfit, and one outfit that more on the dressy side.! An outfit change during your engagement photo session will give your shoot two totally different “looks.” I always recommend starting out with the dressy outfit first!
7) Comfort – making sure that you are comfortable in front of the camera on the day of your shoot is one of my top priorities! For your part, please make sure you are 100% comfortable in whatever you are wearing. Ladies, if you choose a top that is low cut, that will, unfortunately, limit the number of angles I can shoot from.
8) Be On Time – Being on time for your engagement photo shoot is super important because the sun is only out for so long! The later you arrive, the less time we have to shoot those beautiful images of you and your fiance! And nobody wants that!
9) Clean the ring – We are going to get plenty of close-ups of that gorgeous engagement ring of your yours and the cleaner it is, the better! We want those photos to shine forever.
10) Relax – Is it your first time in front of the camera? You don’t have to be a pro at this, in fact, you just have to arrive ready to have some fun! I’m going to help you along the way and it’s going to be a blast! This is your moment to celebrate your love with one another and I want you to enjoy it! Make a date out of it, plan dinner and a celebration afterward!!
Phone: (719) 321-7738
Hello lovely! I’m Jenn, Lake Bluff, Chicago, and Destination Photographer and mom to a Threenager! My end goal is to bring back that Heirloom Wedding Experience for each couple and create a personal and lasting relationship!
Thank you for reading, friends! Want to stay up to date on my top Tips and Tricks and Wedding Inspo? Sign up for my Email List to the Right and be the first to see all of my new content!
Engaged? Looking for your perfect Chicago or Destination Photographer, or just ready for some BEAUTIFUL updated images to hang on your wall? I’d love to take you out to lunch and talk about your perfect day! Send me a message or give me a call! My phone is always on, and sometimes you’ll get to talk to my three-year-old, but I love a good surprise chat!